Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What it's like to be 18 months old (from Olivia)

How I Grow
*I'm beginning to use one hand more than the other. ..looks like I might be a "righty"
*When things don't go the way I want, I get angry and frustrated
*I'm getting much better at the stairs. I can walk up them (using my hands) and I can walk down them holding on to mommy or daddy’s hand
*I like to grab anything I can reach.
*I can climb onto EVERYTHING myself, beds, furniture…
*I can also get down now by myself!
*I LOVE to walk and run and now I’ve started jumping!
*I love to help mommy and daddy around the house. Sweeping and "folding" laundry are my favorite chores!
*I have also started peeing and pooping ON THE POTTY on a regular basis (at least at home anyway and sometimes at Nanny’s house)…
*I’ve finally SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT on a regular basis. Mommy and daddy are VERY happy and much more rested!

How I Talk
*I can say A LOT (maybe 100 or more)of words (in both English and French now)…mommy and daddy are amazed and SO proud!
*I mostly use the word "NO"…and with tremendous enthusiasm! AND, sometimes…even when I mean yes?
*I have started putting 2 and 3 words together.
*I try to sing and I like to have you sing to me. "Rock a by baby" and ABC are the two most recognizable songs I sing.
*I have started "reading" some simple books (memorization).
*I can ask you for what I want sometimes, like a "milk" or "snack", by naming it.
*I understand most everything that is said. I easily follow simple commands (even 2 and 3 part commands)!

What I have learned
*I have started recognizing people from pictures (and can name them)
*I’m starting to remember where things belong
*I’m starting to understand that we clean up toys after playing
*I can turn the pages in my books on my own (and I’m starting to be more careful with paper paged books)
*I love to "draw" and "color" with crayons. Mommy and daddy discovered that letting me play with markers right now is not a good idea.

How I Get along with others
*I like to play with adults and other children.
*Sometimes I am good at sharing. There are sometimes I DO NOT SHARE.
*I have my "friends" at daycare and I can name them when asked.
*Most times my friends and I play well together. Sometimes mommy and daddy find out I have not played well with my friends at daycare (i.e. Scratching…pushing…)
*I sometimes have temper tantrum when I am angry or tired
*I love to show off for other people.

What I can do for myself
*I can feed myself using a fork and spoon.
*I can put on my own pants socks and shoes/boots (I can also take them off on my own).
*I can brush my own teeth (but mommy and daddy help me at the end to make sure I’ve done a good job)
*When I am ready for bed I turn on my night light, get my comfy toy (babies) and fall asleep in my crib on my own.

Play I enjoy
*I LOVE to play.
*I especially LOVE to play with mommy and daddy.
*Right now some of my favorite things to play are :Tea party, dinkie cars (with daddy), push my babies in their stroller, puzzles and shape sorters.

***Note from mom:
I know I haven't updated in a while...Will post some new pics in the next few days...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grandma hopes there are new pictures very SOON!!1

Love to all