Monday, April 26, 2010

First chemo...April 23

Saturday April 24/10

Friday was a long day, but I have to admit not overly traumatic. Early morning started out with a quick surgery to insert a portacath. All the nurses and doctors were wonderful in keeping me calm (and heavily medicated) since I was so nervous. I was done this around 10 am and not scheduled for chemo until 2pm, so I came home for a short nap.

At 2pm we returned to the hospital for my first round of chemo. The nurses there are all super nice. The chemo took about 4 hours, not too bad. During that time I was able to speak to nurses, a pharmacist and my liaison nurse. I had alot of questions answered. I`ve been given alot of great medications to help ease the side effects of the chemo, mainly for the nausea. It`s not even 24 hours yet from the chemo, but so far so good. I've been keeping on a strict schedule taking my anti-emetics and some anxiety meds that help me sleep...so I have been doing allot of sleeping - something that i haven`t done in a long time.

Brad has taken the girls out to Carelton Place to Nanny and Grampa till Sunday morning so that i may enjoy a quite house, especially not knowing how things are going to go. I spoke with them this morning and it seems the girls are happy and doing well. Olivia was headed to the Perth Maple Fest with daddy and Alexia was hanging out with Nanny and Grampa.

My understand of `the plan`` as it stands now (it could change) is that we will do another cycle of this ABVD on May7th. A few weeks later we will take scans to see how the tumor has responded to the chemo. hopes are we will see significant shrinking. If that is the case we will go right into stem cell collection, a process which takes about a day and is done outpatient. The catch...Because i have already has a stem cell transplant (and collection), they anticipate that collection this time around will be very difficult doing it the usual way. They have applied to a drug company for a drug that stimulate the generation of the stem cells in the hopes that we can get a successfull collection. Once the application is approved by the drug company then we have to apply to the federal government to ask approval to use for my case here in Canada and it is not yet approved. All of this is handled by the liaison nurse and she says it won;t be a problem to access the drug and that we should be able to collect stem cells this way (fingers crossed).

After this there will be a consult with the radiologist to see if radiation will be an option - it may or may not be. My understanding at this point is that i will undergo another autologues Stem Cell transplant. This will be the most difficult on everyone. it will be very difficult emotionally and physically especially on me, but for sure our families and my children as well.

We continue to need everyone help and support, happy thoughts and prayers as well. We really appreciate everything that everyone has done for us so far...the emails, the messages, the phone calls, the food and treats sent over, the cards, the prayers, help caring for the girls, the help cleaning our house...just everything is a big help! So Thank you.

Will update more as things progress the next week. Love to all, from the O`Neil`s xoxo

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To all that know my daughter Stacy ..she is a fighter and again will beat this hands down.... to those who have sent good wishes and prayers thank you. Stacy needs support and I know she appreciates all the positive comments. To my wife Melleen .. although there are obviously not enough words to express it ... the fact you have always been at Stacy's side during this disease for the past 17 years has been a bleesing to all of us. A mothers love and support is not always reconizable in the forefront but for those of us that watch we see it and we appreciate your dedication and your love for our daughter. I know and I think everyone else realizes you alway put us first in your life and never complain.
I am nopt one for many words but dearest daughter I love you in many ways and I know you will come through this once again
Love
Dad aka Poppa Light

Wanda said...

Glad round one went well Stac! The positive vibes were buzzing around the world for you on Friday. Glad you had lots of questions answered. Take care and talk to you soon. Papa Light made me cry but in a good way. We all love you!!!

Anonymous said...

think dad summed it up...WOW dad! Love and continue prayers....thinking of trying to come for another visit to give mom and all others supporters some relieve will keep you posted. Love T

Linda said...

Sending love and big hugs, Stacy.
Linda Hayes
xoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

We're glad treatment #1 went well for you. With all the love and support from family and friend, and the fact that you're one tough little cookie, there is no dought that you'll come through this with flying colours. I'm still planning on coming down to visit this summer. We'll be in touch and figure out a good time for you.
Poppa Light, you may not be man of many words, but the words you do say really are beautiful and brought me to tears (again).
Love you all more than you know,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Always thinking of you Stacy. You are a tough cookie. I know you can do this! Add me to your cheering section...I am praying for you and your family to get through this quickly and smoothly so you can get back to normal life really soon. Big, big hugs. Maureen <3

Jamie and Marilyn said...

Hey Stacy and Brr,
We are thinking of you everyday, and sending positive thoughts, prayers and love your way. Let us know if there is anything we can do.
Jamie and Mrr